I have 30 years’ experience of working in community development in a variety of roles in regeneration, health and social care in Bristol, both in the public and voluntary sector. I also have a background in art and craft, and believe strongly in the value of creative activities in learning, development and health improvement. A community development approach underpins all my work, which has included developing and managing a community safety project in Knowle West, co-ordinating a large inner city regeneration scheme, developing and implementing new locally managed community projects, managing small and large grants programmes, carrying out public consultations, and, most recently in public health, managing a team addressing health inequalities in disadvantaged communities. I have extensive experience of working in partnerships and with communities to deliver change. I am also very experienced in staff and resources management and recruiting and supporting volunteers and have been an advisor on the Boards of several organisations including Wellspring Heathy Living Centre, Knowle West Health Park and Ambition Lawrence Weston.
2017 Partner – Vivid Regeneration LLP
2004 -16 Health Improvement Manager NHS Bristol Public Health (from 2013 Bristol City Council)
2003-4 Citywide Project Manager, Neighbourhood Renewal, Bristol City Council
2001-3 Scheme Co-ordinator, Inner City Lifeline Scheme, Bristol Regeneration Partnership
1997-01 Knowle Safe Project Manager, Knowle West Development Trust
1996-7 Community Development Worker, Bristol City Council
1989-95 Community Worker, Hope Centre Hotwells
1986-89 Community Arts Worker, Lockleaze, Triangle Volunteering Project
1980-85 Handicraft Instructor, Bristol 600 Day Centre, Avon County Council
Education and Training
2005-7 Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health, UWE. Modules included: Public Policy, Healthy Urban Planning, Health Economics, Epidemiology, Health Promotion
1999 CPD Community Safety and Crime Prevention UWE
1993-5 Certificate in Social Sciences, University of Bristol
1985-6 Postgraduate Certificate in Education, Bristol Polytechnic
1976-9 B.A Honours Degree in Fine Art, Leicester Polytechnic
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of undertaking community development, community research and consultation to inform and drive local change in neighbourhoods.
- Developing and implementing strategies or plans, based on the above, which have buy in from all stakeholders, including whole community plans or specific strategies such as to improve health and wellbeing, or address community safety.
- Working in multi-agency partnerships and with residents to address sensitive or challenging issues, such as FGM, addiction and complex needs, mental health, and discrimination.
- Negotiating skills to influence change at both a citywide and local level and enabling key stakeholders to work together.
- Experience of working in NHS, Bristol City Council and in or with voluntary organisations across the city and how to join up and maximise resources and opportunities in a period of austerity.
- Specialist knowledge of health and wellbeing, addressing health inequalities, social prescribing, arts and health, and working with VCS organisations to improve wellbeing.
- Significant experience of fundraising, developing and managing large and small grant programmes.