I have substantial experience of delivering successful, sustainable regeneration and economic development projects gained through my wide range of work, as a consultant and in a number senior public and third sector sector posts.
I am a highly experienced manager, with proven ability to create, develop and manage innovative social businesses that deliver high quality services for children, young people and adults. My leadership skills have been deployed in motivating and developing teams of professional staff and volunteers. I have excellent community development skills and enjoy working with residents, community organisations and small businesses.
I have substantial experience of writing business plans, winning contracts and commissions and developing successful capital and revenue funding bids, as well as delivering contracts to deadlines and budgets. I have also helped organisations to improve their governance and operations, leading to better, more sustainable services for service users. I am committed to social justice and have always worked to promote equality and community cohesion.
- Research and feasibility studies for new or improved buildings, services and projects
- Community consultation and analysis
- Developing new programmes and projects
- Developing business plans, community plans and area strategies
- Organisational development work, including improving governance, leadership skills, policies and operations
- Equalities and community cohesion initiatives
- Funding and sustanable investment strategies, including bid writing, developing trading income streams and securing contracts
- Project and contract management, including delivering EU, national and local government funded projects and contracts
- Staff development, mentoring and supervision
- Organising and facillitating staff and volunteer training, conferences and community events
- Monitoring and evaluation, including developing new monitoring systems and undertaking a range of project and large programme evaluations.
Key Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Operational and strategic management of successful third sector organisations, working from initial research and development, to managing social enterprises.
- Winning new contracts and developing successful funding bids for a wide range of community based organisations and social businesses.
- Excellent leadership, networking and people management skills, including facilitating multi-sector partnerships.
- Expertise in community development, engaging and motivating residents, neighbourhood groups, communities and small businesses.
- Experience in designing and implementing research, consultation, feasibility studies and in evaluating organisations and programmes.
- A sound, up-to-date knowledge of regeneration policies and best practice, and extensive networks within the public, private and voluntary sectors. With Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), I worked with a national disalbility organisation (Guyana Community Based Rehabillitation Project) to secure international funds, strengthen self help groups and improve governance, including writing a constitution for a new organsiation – Guyana National Paralympic Association.2003 to date Partner in Vivid Regeneration.
- I co-run a small consultancy buisness and for over 10 years have delivered numerous contracts. Examples of recent work include a first business plan for St Pauls Unlimited Community Partnership in Bristol and a £1.2m Big Lottery Coastal Communities for the Severside are of Bristol and South Gloucestershire. (Other contracts can be seen on the Vivid website)
2011-2012 Organisational Development Advisor, VSO Guyana
1999-2003 Director, Bristol East Side Traders
I developed the concept and launched this award winning initiative providing a package of small business services and area regeneration work in Bristol’s inner city.
1997-1999 Regeneration Consultant
As a free lance consultant, I worked with a number of third sector organisations, including Southmead Development Trust and the Co-operative Development Agency, mainly developing funding proposals.
1994-1997 Community Liaison Officer, Bristol City Council
I managed a £1m voluntary sector grants budget and undertook a range of community development projects, working closely with senior offers and councillors.
1993-1994 Social Worker, Avon County Council
I provided social work services for children at risk and their families in North Bristol.
1985-1991 Community Development Worker, Oxfordshire County Council
I worked half time as a Community worker for an area based social work team in South Oxfordshire, setting up nurseries, family support and advice projects. I also worked half time as a community education worker, engaging unemployed and low skilled adults into education and training.
1981-1983 Manager, National Association for Care & Resettlement of Offenders
I managed a training and employment scheme for young offenders and young people at risk of offending in Oxford.
1978-1980 Manager, London Union of Youth Clubs
I managed a London wide youth training scheme, providing young unemployed people work experience placements in youth and community agencies
1976-1978 Teacher, Bronte Community Centre School, Liverpool
With a co-worker, I ran a small community based free school for young people who did not attend mainstream education.
I have also taught part time:
1976 -78 Liverpool College of Further Education – A level Sociology
1983 –86 Oxford Prison – Life and Social Skills
1995 -97 Open University – Family Life and Social Policy
2004-2008 Board member, Bristol Partnership
2003-2005 Board member, Voscur
2001-2003 Governor, City of Bristol College
1998-2000 Board member, Bristol Regeneration Partnership
1991-1993 Diploma in Social Work / MA in Social Work, Bristol University
1980-1981 Master of Education, Harvard University
1975-1976 Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, Liverpool College of Education
1972-1975 BA Honours, Politics and Philosophy, University of York.
I am currently very interested in community buildings; I worked for a year setting up the West of England branch of the Ethical Property Foundation, and have had numerous contracts to help organisations plan, create or improve community buildings and sites. I am also a keen gardener and have for many years cleared land and cultivated fruit and vegetables on allotments and gardens. I have a more recent interest in international development, and how to link community and environmental activity in UK neighbourhoods with community activism in developing countries.